Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March 3, 2010---Day 14----Dragonflys in My Home

Everybody has a favorite color, a favorite food, a favorite activity...I have a favorite insect..I love Dragonflys..I always have, I find them to be beautiful and very interesting.  I like them so much that for my 31st birthday Todd bought me my second tattoo- a very large Dragonfly on my back, spanning the area between my shoulder blades. 

Contrary to popular thought a  Dragonfly's average life is between a few months to five years.  Most of it's life is spent in the naiad stage (aquatic larvae)- up tO three years.  When they come out of the water they immediately mature to adults.  Adult Dragonflys are harmless to humans, and actually help us by eating mosquitoes.

There is something special about being outside on a hot sunny day and having one land on you.  It makes you hold your breath while you try to get as closer look at the amazing kaleidoscope of colors they come in.  

My daughters and I also believe that they are part of our Uncle Bruce-He lost his fight against brain cancer almost three years ago at age 50.  After Uncle Bruce passed whenever we spoke about him, or to him, a Dragonfly would show up.  Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I truly feel that my Uncle is here with us when we need him in the form he can take and one I will recognize. 

Due to my love of them, I chose different representations of my favorite insect around my home for tonights subject.(in the process realized that I need to dust!)

Oh by the way, I am still working on that only one picture rule (I don't follow rules all that well)

Enjoy! 





2 comments:

  1. so pretty! I'm just thinking you left out your self portrait of your dragonfly!!!
    Luba

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have a good enough picture of it to post.

    ReplyDelete